When we look at our current situation, where we are and where we want to go, we must find a healthy balance between looking back for understanding and looking forward with vision and hope.
There are times when we need to spend more time on one than the other. Both, however can help us create a better story for our lives.
About a year and a half ago I joined Free Agent Academy for knowledge and support. I wanted to start my own business and I knew they could guide me in a healthy direction.
My initial courses had me digging into my past and exploring my personality traits and strengths. At first, this was difficult for me as I like to think more about where I’m going. Plus, I wanted to get to the more exciting things like business ideas and marketing.
I now realize without that foundation, my chance of success would have been greatly reduced. Understanding my past and who I am as a person has given me great strength in the present. It has also given me the ability to look to the future with more clarity.
I now realize there are benefits to both looking to the past and looking to the future.
5 benefits of looking back with clarity
1. Looking back provides more clarity about the decisions we have made and whether they were wise decisions. Therefore, we can have more wisdom when making decisions in the future.
2. Looking back allows us to unearth hurts and baggage and find healing.
3. By looking back we gain insight into our personality and our strengths and weaknesses.
4. Looking back helps reveal what our true passions are and the areas where we really come alive.
5. Through looking back we are able to start linking all of our life’s experiences together and to begin seeing the story we have been creating with our lives.
5 benefits of looking forward with vision
1. Looking forward allows us to avoid complacency by having vision and working towards our dreams for the future.
2. Looking forward with vision creates hope because it gives us something tangible to work towards rather than just being blown about.
3. Looking forward allows you to begin with the end in mind.
4. Looking forward allows us to create goals and work towards achieving them.
5. Looking forward allows us to look outside ourselves. We are more prone to look for opportunities to help and serve people and make a difference in our world.
Question: What about you? Have there been times when you looked back in greater detail? What about looking forward?