Recently, I wrote a post about how it was time to pick a fight. I felt like a big, brave girl saying this since I haven’t picked a real fight once in my life! I did get a black eye once, but it was from a fast, flying baseball, not someone’s knuckles. 🙂
The fight I was talking about picking was a fight to help people who need a voice. It was a fight to give, because I can. To help, because I can. And, to get involved in something much bigger than myself.
It was time to do something about the DOING SOMETHING part of my faith as a Christian. Time to be a part of something big, bold, edgy, and gritty.
Well, the fight has been picked. And, it IS big, bold, edgy and gritty indeed.
This is a little blurb about Exodus Road their mission.
“We’re a non-profit organization that fights modern-day slavery through covert investigations. Our coalition of operatives work together to gather evidence and conduct rescues for those trapped in sexual slavery.”
Currently, the sale, transport, and abuse of the poor is an easy, accessible avenue for money in SE Asia. Because of poverty, many people are desperate for money and therefore easily tricked, kidnapped, and transported to neighboring countries to be sold as slaves.
We are just getting up to speed on the issue. The more we read the more our hearts are aching to help. The need is huge.
Here are just a few of the facts on human trafficking.
- There are more modern-day slaves right now than at any other point in human history.
- Currently, an estimated 27 million people worldwide are forced to work in slave labor camps with little or no pay or are trapped in brothels in sexual slavery (This figure is highly debated and estimates range from 10 million to 30 million).
- Human trafficking is the 3rd most lucrative illegal crime globally, behind the sale of guns and drugs.
- It is estimated that every sixty seconds, two children are sold for sex worldwide.
- The average cost of a slave is $90.
This is the fight we have joined!
We will be assisting Exodus Road in raising awareness and fundraising for investigations. The investigations fall under the targeted intervention area of fighting human trafficking, which is Exodus Road’s focus. Targeted intervention involves:
- Undercover investigations, including evidence gathering (preferably with a video recording device)
- Raids and rescues, in collaboration with the local police force
- The legal prosecution of criminals within the local court system
What you can expect:
This is new for us. So, we look forward to enlightening ourselves as well as you along the way.
We will be writing a post 1 or 2 times a month relaying information firsthand from Exodus Road.
We are also working on funding 2 raids. Each raid rescues one child. Our goal is to get 2 children rescued!
Ways you can get involved
In addition, you can join us and others in picking a fight by helping us fundraise enough to fully fund 2 raids.
Each raid costs approximately $1,400 So, we are excited to raise $2,800 by December 31, 2012!
Join us! We have some fun bonuses for those of you who would like to join us by donating. There just may be some badges, homemade cookies, and amazing books in the mix! 😉
To go to our fundraising page and find out more, click here.
Thanks to all of you for your participation in any way, shape, or form! We, as always, appreciate each of you and your constant support here.
Feel free to email us if you have any questions.